Re-Elect Holyoke's Fiscal Watchdog!

Re-Elect Holyoke's Fiscal Watchdog!

Thursday, January 24, 2008

DOR Finance Report Update! Finance Committee acts on Jourdain order!

The Finance Committee met this past Tuesday and acted upon my order for a thorough review of the recent DOR report on city financial operations. This report and accompanying reports from our independent auditors and the state Inspector General have called into question numerous material weaknesses in the way that Holyoke handles its financial affairs.
The committee agreed with me to take a careful, top-to-bottom review over the next four weeks and will at that time begin to take testimony from numerous city department heads and the mayor regarding their formal responses to the report. It was also agreed that Joe McGiverin would get the Finance Committee copies of all the written responses from city officers to the mayor for our review.
In the weeks and months ahead after our careful analysis, the Finance Committee in consultation with the full membership will make a series of recommendations to the the Full Council so that we can move forward and tighten up many loopholes and deficiencies in the way Holyoke conducts business. I anticipate this report will be all encompassing, innovative and proactive.
I have a link to the report on my blog and I welcome you to review it. I welcome all citizens to call me at 538-5519 or email me with any suggestions you may have as to how you would like to see Holyoke reform its government. I never forget we work for you and this is your government!